Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day Thirty Four: photography fear

My friend Dustin is an amazing photographer.  Really amazing.  Check him out here.  We were in a group that went to Brazil together and the photographs that he came home with were really stunning.  One thing that Dustin seems to have no fear of is taking pictures of people.  His shots of life out in the real world is so beautiful, even when the subject isn't beautiful in any classic sense, mostly because of the way he captures people in vulnerable and natural ways.

I would love to take a page from that book.  I am terrified of taking pictures of people.  I'm not sure why.  Some of it is permission.  It doesn't seem like a thing that a "nice" girl would do to take pictures of a stranger without asking.  Some of it is not quite knowing what to take.  Some of it is not knowing what to keep after I've taken it.

In any case, I'm ending up with a lot of lovely pictures of my kids and some great still lifes.  Not sure how to overcome this fear, but in the mean time, I'll just enjoy Dustin's work!

No comments:

Post a Comment