Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day Sixty Four: Running update

A friend asked me today how the marathon training is going.  I updated her on my mileage and the fact that I'm beginning to taper down in anticipation of the big day in just over two weeks.  Then she said, "Yeah, I know that part, but how is it going?"

Well.  Um.

I have become so ensconced in the numbers, the mileage, the equipment, etc, that I haven't really checked in much with myself about how it is going.  And here is the truth:  it is fine.

You may note here a distinct lack of enthusiasm.

Truth is, it is what it is.  And what it is is running for hours at a time in the middle of a Georgia summer.  It is hot.  And it is, honestly, kind of boring.  I'm definitely experiencing a little bit of pre-marathon burnout.  I'm getting tired of running to count, following the program, preparing the night before.  I'm tired of thinking so hard about it.  I'm even getting tired of talking about it.  Yeesh!  How dull I must sound to everyone!

I'm still looking forward to running this marathon, to accomplishing it and to feeling good about having done so.  But mostly, I'm looking forward to having it behind me and to moving on to something else that moves me (heh!).

I love to run, but I don't think I like making a project out of running.  Running, for me, should actually be the opposite:  something I don't have to think about or worry about, plan for or fret over.  There are lots and lots of other things in my life that I can plan, fret, think or worry about.  Running should be my respite form those things.

I fear that training for a marathon is killing my love of running.  How sad!

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I have never understood it but my spouse seems to work out the world's problems when he runs. All I do is think about how bored I am, or how hot or tired. I need to be chasing something - you know, clear goal in sight kind of thing. I'm impressed with your dedication...what my mom would've called "sticktoitiveness." Good job!

    ReplyDelete