Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day Twelve: La Capilla Bonita




I spent part of this morning worshipping with the people of La Capilla de Santa Maria in Hendersonville, North Carolina.  La Capilla is a beautiful church in the woods with a warm and welcoming Hispanic congregation.  This was a special morning for the congregation as they celebrated the baptism of a young member of the congregation.  The rector, Austin Rios, is a friend and it was a delight to see him in action at the altar.

The church is a lovely historic stone structure built by two brothers, both priests, as the family chapel for a big family compound on the edge of Hendersonville.  It was a delight to photograph.  The light was tricky, mixed sunlight and incandescent, but I had a great time.



 I think that some of these will be the best shots of the project.  At La Capilla, the children come forward for Communion together.  I was able to take a few pictures during Communion of these great kids, all of their hands outstretched.  They need a little editing to correct for some lighting snafus, so these are just a preview.  I am looking forward to sharing the rest!


Speaking of rest, I got some this morning.  It is hard to explain, but after the fun craziness of the week in Abingdon with family, it was really nice to be in the close, gentle La Capilla.  I don't speak Spanish and I understand only a little bit, but one of the great gifts of the Episcopal Church is that Eucharist has the same rhythm everywhere.  I didn't worry too much about following the words exactly, I just rested in the musicality of the language and the clear presence of the Holy Spirit.  Except for taking a few pictures, I didn't have to do anything but worship.  It was a great gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment